Tuesday, June 16, 2009

So You Think You're Too Old To Dance?


Hello, Melissa!
'
My favorite thing about the summer television season is the return of Fox's "So You Think You Can Dance." There is just something really awesome about watching a bunch of extremely talented individuals, who have worked hard at their craft for years, get rewarded and showcased on a television show like this.
'
I Do love this show! Watching this program always takes me back to my high school days, when I was performing in musicals, and dancing in programs for "Debbie's Dance Dimensions" studio in DeKalb, IL. Ah... the good old days.
'
I also remember going out dancing at the clubs, and coming up with new moves all the time. I LOVED dance... If you wanted to find me out on a Saturday night, just look on the dancefloor, and there i was! I would spend hours in my bedroom coming up with new moves, or routines to songs. (Shut up! You know most of you did it too!!!)
'
I don't know what happened, but i don't really dance much anymore. I guess I got to a point where I stopped keeping up with what moves are 'hip.' I pictured that old weird guy (and by old, i mean 30...) that always ends up on the dance floor doing moves that were SO last decade! Sure, i still like to go out and tear it up occasionally at a club, but i mostly play it safe, not like my extremely talented buddy Patrick Ray who goes ALL out! The guy has MOVES!
'
Anyway...This year, it is really hard to pick a favorite on SYTYCD, because all 20 are such gifted dancers. However, there are a few stand outs that i hope make it really far. My personal favorite right now is Melissa.
'
Melissa is the oldest dancer on the show at 29 years old, which is pretty ancient in 'dancer years!' At first I thought, oh she seems nice, but probably won't make it very far. BUT, after seeing her dance Wednesday night she became my current favorite! (i say 'current favorite' because my opinion will usually change as the weeks go on.) She danced a beautiful routine with such grace that many of the younger girl contestants wouldn't have been able to pull off.
'
So Melissa...YOU GO, GIRL! I really hope you make it far in the competition. You are proof that you can still be a talented dancer in the prime of your career! Hmmm...maybe I will consider dancing again... (Nah! Probably not! I'll save you all from that!)
If you haven't seen it yet, here's the routine she performed with Ade last week...my favorite performance of the week!



5 comments:

  1. I remember your dancing days, and boy...you were fantastic! The Oklahoma! farmer dance is still one of the top performances ever seen on the DeKalb HS stage :) I hope that you start dancing again--I know you would have fun!!! Only a couple months until our birthday makes us beyond ancient, though, so better go out and dance now, while you still can :) Love the blog!!! Amy Fontana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, you're the best. Thanks for the great compliment! I bet i would still have it in me, if i tried. :)
    Yes...i will never forget the Oklahoma farmer dance. We TORE IT UP! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you went to DHS?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, I would love to give a meaningful memory of you dancing, but unfortunately I cant. But I CAN talk about the show!

    Melissa isnt one of my favorites, but I can see why you like her. Kayla's got some moves and will be hard to beat, but the Falling Slowly dance was epic tonight. And is it just me or is Lil C annoy you?

    Sorry if I spoiled anything if you havent seen it yet, I dont want to be one of those douchebags.

    ReplyDelete